Sunday 27 November 2011

Sneaky Kitchen Brew

Realised this weekend that if I don't get a brew on soon, I'll be knackered for Christmas beers. The problem for me is that I have a broken HLT and an issue with infection. I've slowly been replacing my kit and have narrowed down the issue to contaminated yeast starters and/or tubing.


I've replaced the cold side tubing on my boiler with new sanitised tube and I've used my last packet of dried yeast which happens to be an S33. According to the information on the Fermentis site S33 is:



A very popular general purpose yeast, displaying both very robust conservation properties and consistent performance.  This  yeast produces superb flavour profiles and is used for the production of a varied range of top fermented special beers (Belgian type wheat beers, Trappist, etc.).  Sedimentation: medium.  Final gravity: high.    Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers.  Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 7.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v. 


Quite how this will come out in an English Pale Ale made with Styrians, I'm not quite sure but there's only one way to find out. 


Grain Bill


4.5kg Maris Otter Pale Malt
250g Amber Malt
250g Carapils


Hops


Bobek 5.2%AA 30g FHW
Bobek 5.2%AA 25g @ 30 mins
Bobek 5.2%AA 10g @ 20 mins
Bobek 5.2%AA 10g @ 10 mins
Bobek 5.2%AA 25g @ Flame Out







2 comments:

  1. I find myself in a similar situation re: Christmas beers, having not brewed since September. Need to do a best bitter this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I'm getting very low OG at the moment. I thought it was that I'm not getting the mash temperatures right but it would appear that it's the dusty malt. Must remember to use a bit more next time.

    ReplyDelete